Saturday 20 June 2015

I've Just Seen: The Godfather Part II (1974)

The Godfather Part II (1974)



















Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writers: Francis Ford Coppola, Mario Puzo (from his novel)
Notable Actors: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Dianne Keaton, Robert Duvall

There is a cetain amount of satisfaction in watching a giant of the film world; and they don't come much bigger than The Godfather series. I saw the first one several months ago, and last week finally watched the second one. My first impression: I will need to watch these again. There is so much in these films that they really need to be seen more than once in order to fully appreciate all aspects.

I will confess that I was not utterly blow away by the these two films, largely due to the enormous amount of hype and love for them. They are great, there is no denying that, but I was not immersed in them. It pains me as an avid film lover to say that, but it is the truth, That is another reason why I want to see them again: perhaps I missed something the first time around, as I tried to absorb all that was on screen.

That being said, this is one of the best sequels in film history. We get to see the next phase in the Corleone family, while also learning about how their life in America began. We see how quickly the family flourished in their new world, and how the next generation is already losing their grip on their power.

When I have a spare six hours I shall go back and watch them, hopefully with a more attuned eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment