Friday 14 August 2015

I've Just Seen: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

http://filmterbarubioskop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/missionimpossible5.jpg
Director: Christopher McQuarrie

I remember seeing the first two Mission: Impossible films many, many years ago. I did find the first one fun and exciting, with the vault scene a highlight. Of the second film, I only remember clocking the Sydney landmarks featured in the film ('hey, the Sydney Opera House! I've been there!' I was only twelve.). Based on Rogue Nation I will not rush out to see the others I missed, but would not avoid them either. This film is good fun, with a plot that is all over the place.

But really, who watches Mission: Impossible for the plot? The action set pieces here are quite good, particularly the opening sequence involving the plane. The piece at the opera reminded me of a Marx Bros. film, or even Danny Kaye, so it was inflected with unintentional humour for me. Cruise does what he does, though he looks a little tired in this film. Simon Pegg is the heart of the film; he is funny, and demonstrates genuine care for Cruise's Hunt. Rebecca Ferguson is very good as the main lady: she gets her own action pieces and is not reduced to being eye candy. She had an air of maturity about her that made her more convincing as a spy.

While this is not even threatening to replace Die Hard as my favourite action film, Rogue Nation is a fun romp that is all about the action scenes, with a decent role for the female character.

No comments:

Post a Comment