Wednesday 16 September 2015

I've Just Seen: Videodrome (1983)

Videodrome (1983)

https://themovierat.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/videodrome_one_sheet_movie_poster_l.jpg
Director: David Cronenberg

I enjoy body horror as a horror sub-genre, and I really enjoyed Cronenberg's The Fly, so I was looking forward to Videodrome. I am not sure how I feel about it. I think it is a film I shall revisit; the plot was a touch confusing, and hopefully a second viewing will clarify some points for me.

As with The Fly the prosthetic work is really good. I am definitely someone who prefers in-camera effects to simply using CGI for everything (not that it doesn't have its place). The tactility of the prosthetics adds to the grungy, fleshy ideas presented in the story; the pulsating television is an arresting image.

This film is very much of its time, and I can imagine some young people in the next few years watching this and not really understanding the culture of video. For me, video was the way I watched films for the first eleven years of my life, and I felt strangely nostalgic for the grainy image on the screen. An interesting film certainly, and one I will re-watch at some point.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's worth another look. There's a lot in Videodrome at the thematic level that is prescient in the same way a film like Network was.

    Cronenberg is all about the body horror. The Fly (as you mention) has a lot of this, but so do films like The Brood, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, and eXistenZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed the Cronenberg films I have seen. Do you have a recommendation for what to see next?

      Delete